A rant regarding LILO and various other related issues

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Thu Apr 14 00:46:29 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 18:41, Miloslav Trmac wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 06:24:11PM -0500, John Morris wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 21:23, Peter Jones wrote:
> > > This is just plain insulting.  You haven't even *tried* the software
> > > RAID support in today's grub.  You've already said as much today!
> > Ok all you brainiacs at RH, could you tell me what dark magic I need to
> > incant to get "grub-install" to 'just work(tm)' on a RHEL3 system
> > running software RAID1 on a pair of IDE drives?
> Well, this is _fedora_-test-list and the flamewar is about FC4t[12],
> which _does_ contain extra code to deal with this case.  Why would
> you test Fedora Core by running RHEL3?

Because this lilo vs grub battle has been raging for years, kinda like
vi vs. emacs.  Because I was making a point.  Because if grub is KNOWN
to be broken in RHEL3 (guess ENTERPRISE environments don't use RAID
....) almost certainly still broken in RHEL4 since it is also broken in
FC3, but it is perhaps, maybe, we really really hope fixed for FC4 means
this is exactly the WRONG time to be thinking about removing the only
boot loader known to work cleanly in a software RAID1 environment.  Even
in a perpetual beta release like Fedora.  When Grub accumulates a year
or two of real world successes, then it will be time to pull the plug on
lilo and I can't imagine anyone objecting then.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris     This post is 100% M$Free!