New 'ClearLooks' Artwork

Ovidiu Lixandru ovidiu at linux360.ro
Thu Apr 14 14:34:43 UTC 2005

Rodd Clarkson wrote:

> I actually prefer ClearLook to BlueCurve, but each to their own.

On one hand, Clearlooks is GTK2-only. This is the main reason why it
should be ditched or at least postponed until GTK1 and Qt themes emerge
(I suspect they never will, anyway).

> I believe (but could be wrong) that the move to ClearLook is part of the
> philosophy of trying to follow upstream trends as much as possible for
> various packages.  With ClearLook set to become the default theme for
> Gnome it would appear that FC is following this upstream trend and using
> is as the default them for FC4.

Secondly, if a crowd jumps in a well, would you? Bluecurve was a
professional designer's work, not a just a theme posted on gnome-look.
"Wow, animated progress bars, how trendy, let's make this theme default".

Thirdly, does Clearlooks have an icon set of its own? Aham, thought so.

Clearlooks has a big VETO from me. Fedora Core's interface is becoming
more and more unprofessional. Just look at that crappy wallpaper, for
God's sake. Black as a default desktop colour?! Right.

Shrike was the last "free" one I liked interface-wise. Recently I saw a
RHEL4 and I was pleased to find out that at least RedHat kept its track.

Anyway, enough talk. If there's anyone in charge reading this, just
ponder this. Don't listen to me, don't listen to others saying the same
as I, don't listen to any presumable Bluecurve fan. Get 5 minutes of a
designer's time and listen to his/her opinion.

--
Ovidiu Lixandru
linux360