FC4t2 no good without LILO

Paul Iadonisi pri.rhl3 at iadonisi.to
Thu Apr 14 18:52:52 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 11:02 -0700, Mike Bird wrote:

[snip]

>  and we've shown that the
> obvious "grub-install --recheck /dev/md0" does not install Grub to any
> of the MBR's.  Redhat has thus far been unable to tell us any new magic
> spells for making Grub do what Redhat vaguely implies that Grub can now
> do.

[snip]

  Avoiding the temptation I have to demonstrate how patently false and
divisive most (but not all) of the rest of your post is, I will address
only this point.
  There is no excuse for this deliberately deceptive claim, especially
when YOU participated in the rather short thread where I proved
otherwise.  "grub-install --recheck /dev/md0" (and probably even without
the --recheck if your hardware hasn't changed) works.  Why you chose to
ignore my test case is beyond me.  The characters 'LILO' still left
behind (as a remnant) after doing the grub-install has no bearing
whatsoever on whether or not grub was really installed.  I haven't
looked at the code, so I don't know why that is, but it most definitely
IS.
  I did that test, believe it or not, with some skepticism based on my
past experience with grub on software RAID 1.  The results surprised me.
After describing my unexpected success, I sort of expected
(understandably) others to say 'oh, hey, maybe it is fixed, let me check
for myself on my test systems.'  If you're not willing to do that, when
I -- someone who has had a long history of the same software RAID 1
problem as others -- have demonstrated that the problem is at long last
SOLVED for my configuration, then I have to wonder why your are
subscribed at all to fedora-test-list.
  Some posters have demonstrated that there are some legitimate gripes
about this whole mess.  You raise questions about your credibility when
you demonstrate an unwillingness to admit that maybe, just maybe,
*something* truly has been fixed.
  So please, test -- to confirm or rebut -- what one skeptical, long
term, somewhat frustrated grub-on-software-raid1 user has successfully
tested.  If you and/or others come back with corroboration of what I've
found, maybe we can *finally* declare the problem fixed and call an end
to at least ONE aspect of this thread: grub on software raid 1.  And
then deal with other alleged problems.
--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator