FC4t2 no good without LILO

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Thu Apr 14 22:21:01 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-14-04 at 11:32 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 08:06:12AM -0600, Guy Fraser wrote:
> > New machines pretty mush only come with onboard SATA RAID
> > which you guys keep saying should never be used.
>
> The "RAID" features of the onboard SATA shouldn't be used. But the SATA
> controller certianly can/should.

Hum.

Do you mean, just don't use any mirroring and or striping,
or do you mean changing some setting so that raid is disabled.
If you mean the latter I have never seen such an option. If
you mean the first scenario, that is what I have done. It is
strange that these limitations exist, because the on-board
SATA RAID works fine with FreeBSD, but were not going to
discuss that here.

For those who use the term "winraid" to descibe some kind of
inferior software raid, I would suggest that you explain what
you mean by don't use it, in light of this post.