FC4t2 no good without LILO

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Thu Apr 14 22:30:01 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-14-04 at 13:17 -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 08:06:12AM -0600, Guy Fraser wrote:
> > New machines pretty mush only come with onboard SATA RAID
> > which you guys keep saying should never be used.
>
> The only board I've seen with onboard RAID at the low end is PATA (IT8212)
> raid. The rest are just IDE controllers.
Hmm.

The last board I bought was about two years ago, it cost about
CAD$150 {~ USD$90 at the time}, it has a promise RAID controller
that supports 2 SATA drives plus 1 ATA133 drive.

I am not sure, but I think every board I have seen in the last
year seems to have SATA RAID, for CAD$150 you can get an ASUS
board with 2 SATA Raid controllers supporting 4 SATA drives
on the motherboard.

Maybe I don't have access to "cheap" motherboards, if you
can get them cheaper than CAD$150.