A rant regarding LILO and various other related issues

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Fri Apr 15 02:43:56 UTC 2005

Once upon a time, Guy Fraser <guy at incentre.net> said:
> On Wed, 2005-13-04 at 22:49 -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> > And how is that one bit different than if you use LILO?
>
> Err

In other words, no answer.

> > > Yes Grub has a command line mode.  Big whoop,
> >
> > Yes, big whoop.  Real servers are not always at hand and don't always
> > have a rescue disk available.  With LILO you are stuck if there is a
> > problem during boot, while with GRUB you have a command line that you
> > can try some things (and work around different types of issues).
>
> FUD

How is that FUD?  I have given real world examples of why GRUB having a
command line should not be dismissed lightly.  I've fixed non-booting
computers remotely with a serial console (at 115200, which LILO can't
do) at the GRUB prompt.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>