FC4t2 no good without LILO

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Fri Apr 15 03:16:59 UTC 2005

Once upon a time, Mike Bird <mgb-fedora at yosemite.net> said:
> On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 19:40, Chris Adams wrote:
> > device (hd0) /dev/sdb
> > root (hd0,0)
> > setup --prefix=/grub (hd0)
>
> So what should we use for MD?  How about:

No, you install GRUB on real disk devices, not software RAID partitions.
If /dev/md0 is your /boot and is on /dev/hda1 and /dev/hdb1 (and you
want to install to the MBR), do:

device (hd0) /dev/hda
root (hd0,0)
setup --prefix=/grub (hd0)

device (hd0) /dev/hdb
root (hd0,0)
setup --prefix=/grub (hd0)

The generalized script I posted yesterday was (I use this in my
kickstart template for example):

# If we are doing RAID for /boot, set up GRUB on all disks
if grep "^/dev/md0.* /boot " /etc/fstab; then
	grep "^md0" /proc/mdstat | tr ' ' '\n' | grep '\[' | cut -d'[' -f1 |\
	    while read dev; do
		drive=/dev/${dev%[0-9]}
		grub <<XYZZY
device (hd0) $drive
root (hd0,0)
setup --prefix=/grub (hd0)
XYZZY
	done
fi

I've got a system with 4 SCSI drives on 2 busses on 2 controllers.  I
don't really know which one is actually used by the BIOS for booting; I
don't really care.  I've got /boot mirrored across all 4 of them and it
just works (even after I had a drive fail and removed it).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>