updatedb disabled?

Miloslav Trmac mitr at volny.cz
Sat Apr 16 14:01:29 UTC 2005

On Sat, Apr 16, 2005 at 09:41:08AM -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 4/16/05, Miloslav Trmac <mitr at volny.cz> wrote:
> > I think we should have something like an extended anacron that would
> > run maintentance tasks (makewhatis, prelink, updatedb) if the computer
> > is not running on battery, in addition to "always run updatedb" and
> > "never run updatedb".  But I'm not sure I'll be able to work on this
> > in time for FC4.
>
> Here's my problem.... why can't anacron and cron  use different cronjobs?
> If the reason why updatedb was disabled by default even for cron was
> because anacron was running it... why can't anacron just be told to
> use a subset of scripts and let cron still do all the nightly stuff at
> 4 am.. if the computer is running at 4 am?  Could we just restructure
> the cron.daily/ directory into two directories or something cron.daily
>  and cron.daily.anacron/
> and have anacron only from the stuff in cron.daily.anacron?
Yes, that's my vague plan: to make /etc/cron.maintenance or something.
This would work exactly like cron.daily except that it would be ignored
when the computer is running on battery.  When it is reconnected to AC,
anacron is started to run the maintenance tasks.

This is fine as long as the computer doesn't have exteme battery life
(weeks).
	Mirek