updatedb disabled?

shrek-m at gmx.de shrek-m at gmx.de
Sat Apr 16 17:15:42 UTC 2005

Miloslav Trmac wrote:

>On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 09:54:38PM -0700, Sean wrote:
>

>>updatedb is disabled by default?  Was this intentional?
>>

>Yes, it was even documented in the FC4t2 release notes.

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/test/3.91/ppc/os/RELEASE-NOTES-en

<snip>
slocate database
The database needed by the locate utility is no longer created by
default.  Enable the database creation by setting DAILY_UPDATE to
"yes" in /etc/updatedb.conf if you want to use locate.

</snip>

and the next step would be that i have to check and edit all config
files in /etc/cron.daily/
prelink, makewhatis, rpm, yum, logrotate, tmpwatch, ...
after every update in every new release ??

>I think we should have something like an extended anacron that would
>run maintentance tasks (makewhatis, prelink, updatedb) if the computer
>is not running on battery, in addition to "always run updatedb" and
>"never run updatedb".  But I'm not sure I'll be able to work on this
>in time for FC4.
>Mirek

afair the gnome-power-manager could be a solution for fc5

see
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2005-April/msg00154.html
http://gnome-power.sourceforge.net/

and

pete zaitcev  telinit 4 "running on battery"
http://www.livejournal.com/users/zaitcev/21605.html

personally, i find the idea with runlevel 4 not bad (runlevel 7-9 are
not defined too)
you could define services for this runlevel you really need while
running on battery
or boot into runlvel 4 if you know that you need a long battery
or as a solution for fastboot.

apropos, X in runlevel 4 via the  /etc/inittab
x:4:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

--
shrek-m