updatedb disabled?

Graydon graydon at epiphyte.net
Sat Apr 16 18:27:58 UTC 2005

On Sat, Apr 16, 2005 at 06:37:56PM +0200, Miloslav Trmac scripsit:
[snip]
> No, I think updatedb should stay disabled by default even if the
> laptop problem is solved, at least as long as slocate is a mandatory
> package in the Base comps group.  Most users that run a "desktop"
> don't use locate, so running updatedb is just wasted.

Err...

If locate is in Base -- guaranteed to be there -- the db initialization
necessary to make it actually work should be turned off?

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Default un*x behaviour is 'always on'; that is necessarily violated for
laptops, but the fix for that is (I think) to provide some special case
handling for laptops, *not* to break the long-standing default case.

> If slocate had to be manually selected for installation, it makes
> sense to enable it by default... but installing the package is a more
> complicated action than enabling updatedb if it is already installed.

"yum install slocate" or "rpm -Uvh slocate" strike me as way simpler
than figuring out what has been done to /etc/cron.daily/slocate.cron in
the 'there by not actually on' case.