text login as default?

Sylvain Rouillard RouillardSy at yahoo.fr
Sun Apr 17 09:30:44 UTC 2005

Out of boredom, I decided to check out all the files on my system that yum
created as *.rpmnew. My understanding of such files is that yum lets the
current file unchanged and lets the user do the shift manually if s/he wants.
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

So, I blindely went through a bunch of those, saving the original files as
*.rpmsave and replacing them by the *.rpmnew. I shut down the pooter,
thinking it would make me a nice surprise when I wake up (heck, that's a test
FC!). Well, I have to confess I was rather disapointed, the only surprise was
that I didn't get any X login screen, just the console mode, and it was no
fun because startx brought me straight to my desktop with no bug.
Investigating on what could have caused this sudden change, I noticed this:

# diff /etc/inittab /etc/inittab.rpmsave
18c18
< id:3:initdefault:
---
> id:5:initdefault:

Fair enough, no bug here and I found the culprit. Though this raises some
questions... what's the point of this change? are we supposed to login in in
text mode to test something? aren't we supposed to bring these rpmnew files
that yum creates into action? Too many questions for a Sunday waking up!

I hope someone can show me the light toward the understanding of these rpmnew
files. You'll find me near the coffee machine.

Cheers