Running Core 4 on laptop

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Mon Apr 18 08:14:43 UTC 2005

Adam Boettiger wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have an older Sony Vaio laptop that I'd like to devote solely to Linux
>Core 4. Problem is, I only have modem access on it (not broadband) and I
>have no CD player for it, just a USB port.
>
>Before I go buy a used accessory just to install the OS, is there any way
>that you know of that I could download Core 4 to an external USB hard drive
>through my PowerBook laptop broadband connection, then move the external USB
>hard drive to the Vaio and install from the external USB drive?
>
>AB

If your Vaio supports booting from USB devices, then you could get FC
installed from the external hard drive, but it probably still wouldn't
be easy. Your better bet would be to pull the hard drive out of the Vaio
and insert it into another x86 laptop, on which you could install FC.
Before you think your hard drive isn't compatible with anything but the
same model, remember that on laptops you have to pull the 2.5" drives
out of their casings to exchange them. After you have FC installed, you
can restore the hard drive to the Vaio and enjoy the glory that is FC,
but if you only have dail-up modem access on the Vaio, you probably
don't want to be maintaining a development branch on it. That said, once
you find a way to get FC installed, you might want to look into a USB
ethernet adapter to get broadband access to your Vaio.

-Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes