Anaconda and monitor handling

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Tue Apr 19 12:51:28 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 06:53 -0400, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> Additionally, DDC probing via ddcprobe only works if the video
> BIOS implements it correctly and handles all of the connected
> displays in a sane fashion, which in practice is rarely true.

Well, PPC gives EDID data through OF, but this has its problems too --
primarily that you only get a resolution and a number of colors, not a
real modeline.

> KVM switches also generally block the DDC signal to/from the
> monitor,

We've got various KVMs of differing quality around the office in
Westford, and they don't usually seem to block it -- but they don't
cache it or probe it either, and if you're not connected to that box at
the right ill-defined moment of the BIOS POST, well, you're not
connected to it.

> which means most KVM switch users cause all software to lose
> the ability to autodetect attached displays.

It makes it less likely, at least.

[...]

No comment on the rest; I'm sure you know the details better than I
do ;)

--
        Peter