laptops and cron maintenance

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Tue Apr 19 21:21:28 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 11:27, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 01:10:21PM +0200, Miloslav Trmac wrote:
> > AFAIK it was turned off because "desktop users" don't use locate,
>
> Eh?  How this gem of information was derived?  This definitely
> does not mesh up with what I am seeing and I am not talking about
> myself.  Sure, this is anecdotal and not statistical.

Because we are part of a shrinking minority, especially for RH's
intended customers.  If it is a traditional UNIX tool, or for that
matter any text mode utility, it gets the words 'legacy' and then
'deprecated' stamped on it.  You see, WE want a Free UNIX, while THEY
want a Free Mac; and like Apple have realized that a Free UNIX makes a
good base to build one on.   :(  Any day now I expect to be labeled an
old crumudgeon and told that FreeBSD is 'right over there' if I still
want UNIX.

I know I use locate several times a week to find things, both system
files and things lost in the rats nest I call a home directory.  Yes the
rebuild of the database is annoying on either a laptop OR on a large
server, but that just means a way needs to be found to maintain the
database in a way that is less stressful to the system.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris     This post is 100% M$Free!