laptops and cron maintenance

Fred New Fred.New at microlink.ee
Wed Apr 20 07:40:55 UTC 2005

On 20. aprill 2005. a. 10:10, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> There are many possible solutions in theory.
>
> <5 good suggestions snipped>
>
> I'm sure others might have additional suggestions.  Feel free
> to comment on mine.

I think the problem is most visible to people like me who
turn off our systems when we aren't using them.  Perhaps
there could be a "slow shutdown" that would tell anacron to
run things like updatedb and prelink before shutting down.
The user would choose whether to "shutdown now" or "shutdown
after running maintenance utilities".  Checking whether the
system is using battery power could also be part of this
slow shutdown.

Fred