END OF DISCUSSION: Grub is inadequate without Lilo for backup

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Thu Apr 21 21:17:00 UTC 2005

On Apr 21, 2005, John Morris <jmorris at beau.org> wrote:

> I'm moving toward having everything important on RAID but I
> still have a single drive for / and boot because of attitudes like this
> that result in continual reliability problems with RAID in the early
> phases of system startup.

Nonsense.  I've had pretty much everything, including /boot on RAID 1
and / on LVM on RAID 1, for years, using GRUB, and it does work.  Sure
enough, grub didn't pretend to support raid 1 like lilo does, and I
had to set things up myself such that, in the case of a disk failure,
the system would still boot, which lilo claims to do, but can't
possibly do in the general case.  I say lilo's claim to support raid 1
is convenient if you happen to have the common case that it supports,
but if it doesn't, then you're up to grow a lot of gray hair for not
knowing what's going on behind the scenes.