END OF DISCUSSION: Grub is inadequate without Lilo for backup

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Thu Apr 21 21:54:22 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 16:17, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> Nonsense.  I've had pretty much everything, including /boot on RAID 1
> and / on LVM on RAID 1, for years, using GRUB, and it does work.  Sure
> enough, grub didn't pretend to support raid 1 like lilo does, and I
> had to set things up myself such that, in the case of a disk failure,
> the system would still boot, which lilo claims to do, but can't

Yes I know lilo has a few issues there which is why I have no problem
retiring it now that grub is finally reaching feature parity by gaining
the ability to boot a RAID1.  But Grub still has issues and since it is
staying they are a problem.  Grub can only boot a RAID if it can own the
MBR which isn't always practical or even possible.  And according to
seemingly authoritative postings during this flame-o-rama, this
limitation is known but not seen as a problem.  I disagree, but
apparently represent a small enough minority that ignoring it is going
to be official policy.  Oh well, sometimes you lose.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris     This post is 100% M$Free!