END OF DISCUSSION: Grub is inadequate without Lilo for backup

Miloslav Trmac mitr at volny.cz
Fri Apr 22 08:39:23 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 04:54:22PM -0500, John Morris wrote:
> Grub can only boot a RAID if it can own the
> MBR which isn't always practical or even possible.  And according to
> seemingly authoritative postings during this flame-o-rama, this
> limitation is known but not seen as a problem.  I disagree, but
> apparently represent a small enough minority that ignoring it is going
> to be official policy.  Oh well, sometimes you lose.
Sometimes you end up writing it yourself and persuade the developers
that it works correctly...

I don't think it anybody decided that this wouldn't get done".
OTOH it doesn't seem obvious to me how to specify the boot block location
for a RAID volume.  I think choosing the ">90% of cases" solution is
a reasonable engineering decision, but not necessarily end of the story.
	Mirek