cpu-freq-applet

Sean Bruno sean.bruno at dsl-only.net
Fri Apr 22 18:41:53 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-22 at 07:05 -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
> Sean Bruno wrote:
> > I have been noticing that my D800 laptop has been running hot(temp)
> > since I installed FC4.
> >
> > Investigating a bit, I noted that I was pretty much always running at a
> > load of about 1.  The cpu-freq applet seems to take a quite a bit of
> > horse power.  This was confirmed when I shut it off and my box cooled
> > off quite a bit.

> My computer always comes up at full frequency. I let it load programs
> initially and when things that I use are up, I change the frequency via
> the applet to 662 MHz vs. the max of 1.52 GHz.
>
> If you left click (or tap) the mouse around the applet, you can select a
> lower frequency from the applet choices.
>
> I would not guess it is the applet, but something determining the best
> frequency for the computer load.
>
> Jim

My laptop seems to scale correctly, that is to say it bumps the
frequency accordingly when the load goes up or down.  The issue I am
seeing is that the applet itself seems to eat up quite a bit more
horsepower that I would expect.

When my box comes up, it runs at a load of 1 with the cpu-freq applet
running.  If I deactivate it, the load goes down to almost nothing.

Is this what you are seeing?  Can you check out my findings?

Sean