Fortune Program -Moving->RE: Wanda is broken

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Sat Apr 23 20:31:00 UTC 2005

Michael Schwendt wrote:

>Why should a package of quotes be a _Core_ package?

The only reason to include the quotes in Core would be if fortune were
included. If fortune is in, then it would make sense to provide a very
small number of quotes to go with it. Obviously, if fortune is not
included in Core, quotes shouldn't be either.

I guess a good question would be if any of the packages that take
advantage of fortune really have a place in Core. We really need a more
specific guiding policy on what belongs in Core and what belongs in
Extras. There are many packages still in Core that could be argued to be
more out-of-place than some of the things already in Extras. The degree
of separation between Core and Extras also needs to be better defined.
At present, someone would have to know about Extras in order to find and
use it. Perhaps the default Core installation should point users to
Extras? Perhaps by adding a small note at the end of the installation or
enabling Extra repositories in update tools by default?

-Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes