Fortune Program -Moving->RE: Wanda is broken

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 05:06:25 UTC 2005

On 4/23/05, Patrick Barnes <nman64 at n-man.com> wrote:
> I guess a good question would be if any of the packages that take
> advantage of fortune really have a place in Core. We really need a more
> specific guiding policy on what belongs in Core and what belongs in
> Extras. There are many packages still in Core that could be argued to be
> more out-of-place than some of the things already in Extras. The degree
> of separation between Core and Extras also needs to be better defined.
> At present, someone would have to know about Extras in order to find and
> use it. Perhaps the default Core installation should point users to
> Extras? Perhaps by adding a small note at the end of the installation or
> enabling Extra repositories in update tools by default?

I've always recommend people do an install everything when they have
the disk for it... This began as a result of dealing with people that
didn't install devel, where it used to be a pretty big pain to install
the missing devel packages by hand. Later I realized the amazing
quantity of professional grade software was actually a fantastic
selling point.. Many times I've seen eyes go wide with excitement when
a new users sees all the software they have. Diskspace isn't a factor
in many environments these days, and as long as the packages aren't
junk there is no harm in installing things that aren't used...

I like the idea of a slimmed down core distro, but lets carry the
model the whole way.  Is there a real reason that the basic distro
can't fit on one (maybe) two CDs?

Is there a reason that we can't make the package selector offer extras
packages at install time to be furnished by an extra Extras DVD or
two? (not everyone has broadband, I burn a lot of fedora DVDs for
people).