FC4 with postfix + (smtp & smtp-ssl) + (pop3 & pop3-ssl) + (imap & imap-ssl) + (spamassassin & clamav)

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Sun Apr 24 16:05:41 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-24 at 13:52 +0200, Cream wrote:
> I've noticed exim is gone from FC4 test2, and assume that means postfix
> is the MTA og choice.
>
> Can anyone point me to a step for step guide for setting up FC4 with
> postfix with virtual domains and (smtp & smtp-ssl) + (pop3 & pop3-ssl) +
> (imap & imap-ssl) + (spamassassin & clamav).

You didn't say which imap you were going to use, dovecot or cyrus-imapd,
but here are a few hints from how I configure things. If you want to run
mailman too I've included those steps as well.

General:
--------
add imap ports 143:tcp, 993:tcp to firewall
add pop ports 110:tcp,  995:tcp to firewall

% chkconfig postfix on
% chkconfig dovecot|cyrus-imapd on
% chkconfig mailman on

Postfix:
--------
Install system-switch-mail rpm and switch from default sendman to
postfix

% system-switch-mail

Edit /etc/postfix/main.cf:

# Make sure postfix is listening for outside connections as well as
# local
inet_interfaces = $myhostname, localhost

# Allow mailman to automatically manage its aliaes
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases hash:/etc/mailman/aliases

# For dovecot Maildir (recommended)
home_mailbox = Maildir/

# For cyrus imap
mailbox_transport = lmtp:unix:/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp

Mailman:
--------
% su mailman
% cd /usr/lib/mailman/bin
% ./mmsitepass <password>
Edit /etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py, add:
MTA = 'Postfix'
% ./newlist mailman

Cyrus-imapd:
------------
give user cyrus a password (unlock the local account if you want shell
access)

make sure saslauthd is running:
% chkconfig saslauthd on
% service saslauthd start

# if using postfix, use LMTP local transport, in /etc/postfix/main.cf:
mailbox_transport = lmtp:unix:/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp

Turn services on:
% service postfix start
% service dovecot|cyrus-imapd start
% service mailman start