Laptop poor performance, mis-read temperatue?

Sean Bruno sean.bruno at dsl-only.net
Mon Apr 25 21:54:25 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-25 at 08:41 -0600, Kim Lux wrote:
> run top and see what processes are using a significant amount of CPU
> resources.
>

> On Sun, 2005-04-24 at 20:07 -0700, Sean Bruno wrote:
> > I seem to be running into some issues with performance on my laptop.  It
> > appears the machine is dramatically slowing down under load.
> >
> > I was, er ... uh ... load testing, with America's Army, and noted that
> > my laptop runs fine for a bout 3 to 5 minutes.  Then the fans kick into
> > overdrive and I lose about %60 of my performance(determined via my FPS
> > in game, not real accurate).
> >
> > I never saw this type of slow down under any FC3 kernel, what should I
> > be looking for?
> >
> > Sean
> >
> > P.S.  Running a Dell Latitude D800
> >
> --
> Kim Lux,  Diesel Research Inc.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Nothing but the obvious, the video
game(armyops-bin) is indeed eating up most, if not all, the CPU of the
machine.  My point of this posting was that my performance in this video
game is quite poor compared to FC3 on my laptop.

Basically, it seems that the machine clocks itself down and tries to
cools itself off.  But FC3 does not seem to have this issue on the same
hardware.  What should I be looking for?

Sean