Fortune Program -Moving->RE: Wanda is broken

Mike A. Harris mharris at www.linux.org.uk
Tue Apr 26 01:09:25 UTC 2005

Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> About half way through the list of fortunes, I received a memo from HR
> telling me that I had to turn it off: Someone had been gravely
> offended by "Are we not men"

Indeed.  I received bug reports, as well as direct emails from people
being offended by many things.  Some were legitimate, while some were
very far stretched.  It was rather annoying to have to patch the
fortune program every time someone whined about something.  Now they
can go download it themselves and they get the raw thing and can
patch it themselves, or complain to the author of fortune-mod
directly.

Zero bug reports since.  Zero direct emails about nasty fortunes
since.

 > There is already a mountain of text in Fedora that someone could find
 > offensive if they choose to be offendable (just consider the
 > documentation alone!), and the same is true for any large software
 > problem.

I'm sure the day will come.  We can just remove all documentation and
replace them with single color icons of individual primary geometrical
shapes.  I suppose we have to watch which colors we use with such
shapes however, so as not to provide any unintended symbolism in
particular cultures.

;o)