Default theme missing after todays updates.

Gerry Tool gstool at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 26 22:46:38 UTC 2005

DAVID BENTLEY wrote:
> Todays updates cause a major problem in that you can't
> login because the Default theme is missing from the
> following location :-
> /usr/share/gdm/themes/Default
>
> The solution is to boot in text mode (edit the boot
> for the kernel that runs [latest kernel panics but
> that another story] and add a 3 so it looks like rhgb
> quiet 3 and then boot)
>
> When you are in login as root and re-crate the default
> folder by copying the Blucurve one and re-naming it to
> Default.
>
> logout and re-boot and all will be well again.

I just encountered this same thing and used a similar work-around.  I
just logged into a Ctrl-Alt-F1 terminal, created a link named Default to
the Bluecurve directory, and inside the Default directory, created a
link named Default.xml to the Bluecurve.xml file.  I guess the file link
isn't necessary if David got it to work the way he described.

The message when arriving at the login screen was can't find
/usr/share/gdm/themes/Default/Default.xml.

It then displayed an alternate login screen, but did not allow entering
a user name into the dialog field.

Gerry