Gnumeric?

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Thu Apr 28 03:15:07 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 18:32 -0700, Ryan James wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 18:13 -0700, Robert Walsh wrote:
> > Pardon me if I missed the discussion, but what happened to gnumeric?
> > The release notes say it has been removed (along with a bunch of other
> > stuff) but no reason was given.

> it's in extras.  i guess it got pushed because there's already the
> openoffice spreadsheet...  i don't recall a discussion about it being
> pushed though.

There was a huge discussion about this on the devel list before the
first test was released.

Essentially it boils down to the fact that a number of useful packages
were added to FC for the FC4 release and as a result another CD (or two)
was required to fit all of the packages.

People were asked to suggests duplicate packages so that one could be
removed (and then added to extras if it was seen to be important enough
that someone would sponsor it).  As you rigthly suggest, gnumeric
duplicates functionality in OOo and i believe OOo was held onto because
it offers other functionality not available (there's no presentation
software) and because most people would expect OOo to be there.

Anyhow, check the archives.

It's worth noting that extras will become a much more important and
focused part of FC in the future so it shouldn't be too hard to add
packages from extras after the install (or indeed at install).

Rodd

--
>From the pain come the dream
>From the dream come the vision