Stealthing Ports in system-config-securitylevel was: SSH brute force attack

Roger Grosswiler roger at gwch.net
Thu Apr 28 11:01:23 UTC 2005

>> Hi,
>>
>> Taking again the thread about the SSH brute force attacks, but with a
>> question.
>>
>> We have a nice tool called system-config-securitylevel, why isn't it
>> possible to indicate some ips or ranges there an click to "stealth" so,
>> this port is just visible to the indicated ip-adresses??
>>
>> Roger
>>

> Because it's a simple gui tool designed to be simple.

you're right at this point, it's adding a function more., but adding this function would not mean crashing usability
of this tool, i think. It's just an senseful option more, that keeps EASY the users computers more secure - specially
on servers.

If we were talking about usability, why not discussing an application level gateway-firewall for fedora like eg.
zonealarm? This is well known by most of all users...

Roger