Need help to install a kernel rpm with RescueCD (FC4T2)

Ian Pilcher i.pilcher at comcast.net
Fri Apr 29 13:01:28 UTC 2005

Christopher wrote:
> I've got a new AMD64 system which I installed FC4 test2 on. After installation
> finished and rebooted the kernel just hung. It seems there is a problem with the
> kernel released last week (ref: http://www.livejournal.com/users/wtogami/). I've
> got hold of the latest kernel which is supposed to work (from the same link
> above). I've managed to get the kernel rpm (kernel-2.6.11-1.1276_FC4.x86_64.rpm
> ) over to my damaged FC4T2 system (had to use a gentoo live cd, since the
> rescuecd just crashed when I tried to enable network, and I could not mount the
> cdrom in rescue mode). Anyway, trying to install the kernel rpm package in the
> chrooted environment (chroot /mnt/sysimage) just ends up with rpm saying it
> depends on initscripts and won't install.

Did it complain that it requires a newer version of initscripts, or did
it complain that it's completely missing?  If it's the former, you
probably just need to upgrade that package first.  (Your approach with
the gentoo rescue CD and chroot is correct.)  If initscripts is
completely missing, then something much more serious is wrong.

HTH

Ian Pilcher                                        i.pilcher at comcast.net