Latest Firefox and profiles

John Kodis kodis at mail630.gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Aug 11 14:49:44 UTC 2005

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 07:16:59AM -0400, Ernest L. Williams Jr. wrote:

> In the latest firefox; can someone tell me how to turn off profiles?

This behavior is also my least favorite Firefox "feature".

> If I have my home directory NFS mounted on a central server, and then
> launch firefox from two different client workstations it prompts for a
> new profile.  This is due to the lock file created in my home directory
> on the central server.

This also happens whenever more than a single X server is involved, so
that for example, if I start Firefox on my main display (:0) and then
try to run Firefox on my second display (:1), I'm prompted to choose
an alternate profile.  If I'm working at home and try to tunnel an
instance of Firefox running on my work PC, I'm prompted to choose an
alternate profile.  I don't want to create a "left-hand-monitor"
profile or a "work-from-home" profile; I simply want to open another
browser window with all the same profile information that I've already
set up.

> I want to disable this profile business: any clues?

You and me both.  A simpler, single-profile behavior would seem to be
a more useful default.

-- John Kodis.