ICON's disappeared from desktop for devices ..

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Aug 13 12:41:18 UTC 2005

Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 23:56 -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>>After updating packages yesterday, ICONs for mounted devices are no
>>longer on the desktop for my USB drives or for my CDROM/DVDs any longer.
>>Is this a bug or new design?
>>The devices are mounted. The ICONs are just not present.
>>The patch that seemed to grab my attention was the Start Here patch
>>removal. The patch might not have influenced the new behavior.
>

> I see this too, but I've been seeing it for some while (since
> gnome-2.6.x??? - long enough that it isn't just this version of Gnome.)
>
> Have I filed a bug report?  Shamefully, NO!  Partly I just never got
> around to it, and partly I wasn't sure how to peg this one down in a bug
> report.
>

> Rodd

After reading a post on the redular user list regarding having the
ability to browse other user directories contents, I changed my
home/user directories from 755 to 700. After changing the user
directories to 750, the CDROM icon started to reappear. The usb hard
disk icons still do not show up on the directory.

As a test, I created a new user with adduser, the directory permissions
were set to 755, but the usb drive icons did not reappear. The CDROM
icon did appear. User can browse newuser directories.

I think the usb drive is a new problem. The CDROM problem was newly
introduced by setting user to 700 permissions.

rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/sbin/adduser
shadow-utils-4.0.11.1-3

I'll check out shadow-utils for the setting user to 755 bug.

Jim