A record number of breakages?

Horst von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Wed Aug 17 19:44:44 UTC 2005

Mark McLoughlin <markmc at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 21:43 +0100, Paul wrote:
> > I'm not sure if it's me or the build box, but today must go down as the
> > day with most number of packages borked in rawhide - there are tonnes
> > relying on libpixman and libcairo and if they're excluded, there are
> > still about that additionally have to be excluded as well!
>
> 	Here's a thought - if the daily rawhide report comes with a list of
> broken dependencies, it probably wouldn't take much for it to also
> include the yum command line needed to update everything not affected by
> the broken deps. Or yum itself could have a --exclude-broken-deps ...

I'd vote for --shadow=SomePackageGlob, meaning "Install everything that
doesn't depend (directly or indirectly) on SomePackage" (modulated by the
usual --exclude=SomeJunk and ListOfStuff arguments). Methinks this would be
generally useful, not only for futzing around with rawhide, as this is
usually what you want (not just raw --exclude=ThisOrThat).

Or else, "--install-whatever-you-can --i-know-what-im-doing
--yes-i-do-mean-it --just-doit-damnit" flags

> 	Broken deps are always going to be a fact of life with rawhide - it'd
> be nice if didn't suck up too much time for people, though.

Nodz.