A record number of breakages?

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Sun Aug 21 06:06:22 UTC 2005

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> On 8/18/05, Michael Wiktowy <mwiktowy at gmx.net> wrote:
>>
>> I think that the conclusion boiled down to yum being a dependancy
>> *solver* not a dependancy *ignorer* and for the default operation to do
>> all of what the invoker intended or nothing at all (other than
>> outputting informative errors pointing to the problem ... something that
>> has imporved a great deal since then) so that they can be used sanely
>> and predictably in automated scripts.
>> I would like this functionality too but it does make a degree of sense
>> to do it outside of yum.
>
> yum now has a plugin structure, so "outside of yum" might mean a yum
> plugin package now instead of a totally seperate script. I've not
> found the time to dig into the plugin mechanism at all.

Hmm. Postresolve plugin slot has no way to affect the dependency
resolution resultcode so while the broken packages could be removed from
the transaction set in there, yum would think the depsolve stage failed
anyway. There are two options I think:
1) Loop through all packages in exclude slot and globally exclude anything
with unresolvable dependencies. Might be somewhat costly because it needs
to go through all the packages, not just those affecting the system in
question.
2) In preresolve slot loop through the current transaction set and remove
any packages with broken dependencies. However you'd have to do full
recursive dependency resolution for the remaining packages since the
dependencies could have broken dependencies as well.

1) is more straightforward and should be quite simple to implement, unless
I'm overlooking something silly.

 	- Panu -