Fedora Core 4 Test Update: xen-2-20050727

Justin Conover justin.conover at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 04:34:57 UTC 2005

On 8/22/05, Rik van Riel <riel at redhat.com> wrote:
> Fedora Test Update Notification
> FEDORA-2005-777
> 2005-08-22
>
> Product     : Fedora Core 4
> Name        : xen
> Version     : 2
> Release     : 20050727
> Summary     : Xen is a virtual machine monitor
> Description :
> This package contains the Xen hypervisor and Xen tools, needed to
> run virtual machines on x86 systems, together with the kernel-xen*
> packages.  Information on how to use Xen can be found at the Xen
> project pages.
>
> Virtualisation can be used to run multiple versions or multiple
> Linux distributions on one system, or to test untrusted applications
> in a sandboxed environment.  Note that the Xen technology is still
> in development, and this RPM has received extremely little testing.
> Don't be surprised if this RPM eats your data, drinks your coffee
> or makes fun of you in front of your friends.

> Update Information:
>
> Upgrade to a newer version of the upstream xen-unstable
> development tree.  Note that this version is incompatible
> with earlier xenolinux kernels since the hypervisor changed,
> but that should not be an issue since Xenolinux did not work
> in recent FC4 update kernels anyway.
>
> Use this together with the next FC4 kernel update.
> * Mon Aug 15 2005 Rik van Riel <riel at redhat.com> 2-20050726
> - upgrade to a known-working newer Xen, now that execshield works again
>
> * Mon May 30 2005 Rik van Riel <riel at redhat.com> 2-20050530
> - create /var/lib/xen/xen-db/migrate directory so "xm save" works (#158895)

> This update can be downloaded from:
>   http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/testing/4/
>
> 6c19a99764cb11fb32572827fa31f28a  SRPMS/xen-2-20050727.src.rpm
> 47b71a1aed2e5a3bd0abec252a1756d9  i386/xen-2-20050727.i386.rpm
> 2e96c069e2366c66de2353b856b8c036  i386/debug/xen-debuginfo-2-20050727.i386.rpm
>
> This update can also be installed with the Update Agent; you can
> launch the Update Agent with the 'up2date' command.  You may
> need to edit your up2date channels configuration.  Within
> /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources enable the following line:
> yum updates-testing http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/testing/4/$ARCH

Any chance of seeing this pop up in testing or rawhide?  If I say
pretty please with that make a difference :)

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/downloads/xen-unstable-install-x86_64.tgz

I know DaveJ said one of the problems with Xen and Rawhide is the
kernel version and Xen in some way is based on the current stable
kernel.

Is there any way, that a kernel can be build in core (for rawhide)
that would be matched up to what Xen wants to play with,  I know that
one be just another 1(4) kernels added to rawhide, but it would allow
to also work/test out xen while running rawhide.  I would imagine the
version number would cause problems, but maybe have xen-kernel
dependency not look for the current kernel.  Just installs on its own
and doesn't care what the current kernel version is.

Just a thought.