point release

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Thu Aug 25 12:04:15 UTC 2005

Paul wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Given that it looks like FC5 will be in 5 months (or there abouts),
>would it be a good idea in October to release a .5 release for FC4? I'm
>a bit concerned that OpenSuSE is really starting to be whipped into
>shape and looks to be a strong competitor if they release OS10 a few
>months before FC5 hits the ground.
>
>Opinions?

Trying to win a horse race to be the first on a release schedule with
hundreds of other distributions out there is a pointless game that
Fedora will never win. Those who want to get a preview of Fedora Core 5
can always run a development version or one of the test releases ( with
the right expectations) thats planned to be released shortly

http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/schedule/

The FC5 development time  was extended to accomodated new development
that was determined to better done as a single strech

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FC5Future

By hurrying a .5 release in the middle we can only ensure that a half
baked one without all of the necessary testing, integration and features
planned gets out leading to disappointment. A open source  project
should set its pace depending on its own requirements whatever that
might be and not based on other distributions.  What is important is
that we get a new release out there now and then and thats something
being taken care of nicely as always

regards
Rahul