No update of repo description today?

Horst von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Fri Dec 2 21:48:00 UTC 2005

Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

> As seth suggests set metadata_expire=reasonable number of seconds   in
> your development repo definitions (to effect just those repos) or in
> your main yum.conf(to effect all repos).  The time based  metadata
> caching is a new feature for the 2.4.1 yum in rawhide.  The default is
> currently 8 hours, meaning yum won't attempt to refresh its metadata
> for 8 hours after its last metadata refresh.

This isn't too smart, IMHO. I tend to run yum around the time the data gets
pushed to the mirrors, in this way if I come early I won't get updates for
a day or so.

What /really/ annoys me is when yum gets old metadata from a repository,
I think it should look for some timestamp and compare with what it's got
locally, and just try the next mirror if the metadata is stale.

And since I'm in wish-mode anyway, why not adding an option to install what
can be installed when there are broken dependencies? The data is certainly
available... Yes, I do understand that indiscriminate use will lead to
systems in which there are ancient packages blocking important updates, and
nobody cares, but...