Installation report

Dawid Gajownik gajownik at fedora.pl
Sat Dec 10 16:09:14 UTC 2005

Hi!
	I did today FTP network installation using boot.iso image from 9th
December. Almost everything went fine ;-) After reboot I saw kernel panic:

[snip]

Switching to new root and running init.
unmounting old /dev
unmounting old /proc
unmounting old /sys
bla bla bla ;]

I looked at /root/install.log → http://pastebin.com/458435 and found
that there were problems with installing selinux-policy-targeted [1].

Instalowanie selinux-policy-targeted-2.1.1-1.noarch.
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.77057: line 22: ln: command not found
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.77057: line 34: semodule: command not found
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.77057: line 38: ls: command not found
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.77057: line 39: rm: command not found

I grabbed FC4 CD1, booted system into rescue mode and did `chroot
/mnt/sysimage'. I had to reinstall selinux-policy-targeted package with
`--noscript' option. I tried to manully execute all commands from
{pre,post}install scriplets but some of them failed (for example:
`semodule -b /usr/share/selinux/targeted/base.pp -s targeted'). I think
that the problem was with too old kernel available in FC4's rescue mode.

I also run `yum update' in chrooted environment but most of the
scriptlets failed. Unfortunately, it's not mentioned in /var/log/yum.log :/

After reboot 'kernel panic' problem disappeared :D There were lots of
avc messages, though. “Rescue mode” must have screw up security context
of system files. `touch /.autorelabel && reboot' fixed this problem...

Two remarks:
1) It would be nice to have newer rescue CD ;-)
2) I miss information about current download speed. For instance,
downloading stage2.img file takes some time on my DSL connection. I had
to look at NIC's LEDs to make shure that it's really downloading
something from the Internet.

That would be all. Now I can die happily ;-)

[1] BTW there are also problems with creating icon cache. Few scriplets
failed.

Regards,
	Dawid

--