Pam updates break system (Was: pam changes require dovecot restart)

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 01:21:20 UTC 2005

On 12/16/05, n0dalus <n0dalus+redhat at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/17/05, Deji Akingunola <deji_aking at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> >
> > Merely rebooting the system will cure your problem.
> >
> > Deji
> >

> This problem was not fixed by a reboot. After the partial update there
> was no libpam.so of any version.

Well sounds like something went horribly wrong with that update.
Better try to to see if you can reproduce it.

Can't you reboot into runlevel 1 and bypass this?  Or in rescue mode
off of an fedora installer image?  If there is no libpam.so of any
version install then rpm -V pam should most definitely indicate a
problem.
pam-0.99.2.1-1 most certaintly has
/lib/libpam.so.0
/lib/libpam.so.0.81.1
in its payload.

And pam seems to update just fine for me.  You'll have to do you best
to figure out why the libpam files didn't install.

-jef