Automounting/removable media problem

Leon Stringer leon.stringer at ntlworld.com
Thu Dec 8 20:36:52 UTC 2005

Hi,

Auto-mouting appears to have stopped working.

I was looking at burning CDs from GNOME which just spat the CD out. So I
ran "yum update" and updates were applied and now it doesn't recognize
CD-Rs (i.e. they're not auto-mounted and double clicking on them reports
that the disc is unrecognized).

Data CDs aren't automounted but double clicking on "cdrecorder" in GNOME
mounts it.

Audio CDs aren't automatically played (they were at first install) but
can be played manually.

When I went to check Desktop->Preferences->Removable Drives and Media I
got the error:

	Volume management not supported

	The "hald" service is required but not currently running. Enable the
service and rerun this application, or contact your system
administrator.

However, if I do "service haldaemon status" it is reported as running.

Does anyone have any idea what has gone wrong?

Thanks,

Leon...