Fresh install and direct update

Leon Stringer leon.stringer at ntlworld.com
Fri Dec 9 19:46:14 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-09 at 18:02 +0100, Roger Grosswiler wrote:
> Today, i gave me a chance to install FC5 Test 1.
>
> The new install now went flawlessy. I tried pup, which did a update of
> my system.
>
> So, after the reboot, i recognized:
>
> - i couldn't use selinux anymore (i think, there was already a thread
> about)
>
> - i had problems with cups and hcid with a missing libdbus-1.so.2 and
> hald with a missing libdbus-1.so.1. i ln -s'ed them from /usr/lib, so no
> more error-messages.
>
> - and now, the beat: after hal starting up, i get no longer a
> login-screen from gnome :-(

I think my problems are similar (see "Automounting/removable media
problem") as I'm getting reports of hal problems and a lot of dependency
errors on "yum update".

I assume this is due to transient issues as dependencies change during
the test phase, but - as I've said before - these problems prevent us
from testing up-to-date builds and filing accurate reports.

So as well as asking about how to fix our systems I'd also ask what is
the recommendation for testers? Are bulk updates not recommended for
now?