Fresh install and direct update

Roger Grosswiler roger at gwch.net
Fri Dec 9 19:54:51 UTC 2005

Am Freitag, den 09.12.2005, 19:46 +0000 schrieb Leon Stringer:
> On Fri, 2005-12-09 at 18:02 +0100, Roger Grosswiler wrote:
> > Today, i gave me a chance to install FC5 Test 1.
> >
> > The new install now went flawlessy. I tried pup, which did a update of
> > my system.
> >
> > So, after the reboot, i recognized:
> >
> > - i couldn't use selinux anymore (i think, there was already a thread
> > about)
> >
> > - i had problems with cups and hcid with a missing libdbus-1.so.2 and
> > hald with a missing libdbus-1.so.1. i ln -s'ed them from /usr/lib, so no
> > more error-messages.
> >
> > - and now, the beat: after hal starting up, i get no longer a
> > login-screen from gnome :-(
>
> I think my problems are similar (see "Automounting/removable media
> problem") as I'm getting reports of hal problems and a lot of dependency
> errors on "yum update".
>
> I assume this is due to transient issues as dependencies change during
> the test phase, but - as I've said before - these problems prevent us
> from testing up-to-date builds and filing accurate reports.
>
> So as well as asking about how to fix our systems I'd also ask what is
> the recommendation for testers? Are bulk updates not recommended for
> now?

Right, i was a kind of helpless, but i have it working now. In the
rpm-database, there have been a lot of double-entries.

I 'rpm -q' all packages with problems in dependencies (except those from
today, the java ones) and see there - i have e.g. 2 versions of cups
installed. so, i 'rpm -e' all older packages from the dependencies, then
i could do the update.

So, now i have a working system :-D

Leon, i hope this can help you too.

Roger