call for testing, dmraid in rawhide

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Tue Dec 13 16:48:18 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 06:23 -0500, Build System wrote:

> anaconda-10.90.18-1
> * Sun Dec 11 2005 Peter Jones <pjones at redhat.com> - 10.90.17-1
> - Full dmraid support.  (still disabled by default)

As the changelog says, last night's rawhide build has support for dmraid
during installation.  If anybody wants to test this, I'd be really
appreciative ;)

A couple of ground rules/caveats:

1) Right now on a default install /boot doesn't get mounted after
install.  In general,
   "mount -a" doesn't work just yet, and "fsck -a" probably has similar
issues.  Changing
   fstab to point at the device instead of a label will probably fix it
(I haven't tried
   that yet ;)
2) It's expecting a partition table on the raid, not a raid on a
partition.  AFAIK this
   is how all BIOSes actually lay out the metadata, so that should be
normal
3) RAID 0, 1, and (in some cases with some BIOSes) RAID 1+0 only.  No
RAID 5 or RAID 6
   yet, even if your BIOS does it.
4) You'll probably get a nasty failure if you're doing RAID 1 and your
drives aren't
   synced already.  (Heinz, we probably should discuss this some)
5) If you move disks that have RAID metadata onto a controller/BIOS that
doesn't support
   it, the installer is still going to think they're perfectly good, and
it'll install
   grub on them, etc.  Don't do that.  It won't work.
6) If you've added support already and you do an upgrade, it almost
certainly won't
   work.  I've got no intention of making this work, either.  Sorry.
7) Bug reports should go to bugzilla.redhat.com .  File them against
anaconda; if they
   need to be assigned somewhere else, we'll reassign it.

So, without further fanfare:

To enable this, add "dmraid" to the installer boot command line.

--
  Peter