Package updating

Horst von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Fri Dec 16 18:33:59 UTC 2005

seth vidal <skvidal at phy.duke.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 15:49 -0700, Don Springall wrote:

> > I would still like a reply from redhat. Is there a way to formulate a
> > broken deps list that is complete ? If not then maybe someone should
> > revisit this dependency hell we have descended into. I fail to see how
> > this is any better than the .dll hell some unnamed OS suffers from.

> The reason why it is better is that this is a TEST RELEASE.

So?

> Things are expected to be broken.

Right. But give people the tools (even if hard to use/inconvenient) to find
out exactly how/where. I.e., how to find out what can't be installed
because it is being blocked, and exactly how it is blocked. As things
stand, I just run "yum -y update", parse the output to find out what it
would like to install, and then go over the resulting list trying to
"yum -y upgrade" one by one. There has to be a better way...

A list of /everything/ that depends on a package/feature (directly or
indirectly), and another one of all the stuff required would go a long
way... they would probably be humongous, but with standard text filters they
could be handled.