Pam updates break system (Was: pam changes require dovecot restart)

n0dalus n0dalus+redhat at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 02:27:35 UTC 2005

On 12/17/05, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can't you reboot into runlevel 1 and bypass this?  Or in rescue mode
> off of an fedora installer image?  If there is no libpam.so of any
> version install then rpm -V pam should most definitely indicate a
> problem.
> pam-0.99.2.1-1 most certaintly has
> /lib/libpam.so.0
> /lib/libpam.so.0.81.1
> in its payload.
>
> And pam seems to update just fine for me.  You'll have to do you best
> to figure out why the libpam files didn't install.
>
> -jef

Yeah in my original mail I said that was the solution (runlevel 1 then
update again using pam rpms from yum's cache).

What log files should I be looking at to see what caused this? I had a
look at a few but didn't see anything really obviously wrong. I don't
know if there's a way to roll-back all the updates and try again
without a whole lot of work, and I don't even know if the problem
would show itself again with certainty.

I will have a look at the rpm.spec too because something like this
should really be an atomic operation. It shouldn't remove the old
libpam.so until it's sure the new libpam.so is properly installed.

n0dalus.