Problem with yum and initscripts

Paul F. Johnson Paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Sat Dec 17 10:52:23 UTC 2005

Hi,

Both of these are x86_64 related (I've not seen them happen on my x86 box).

For some reason (which I'm assuming is down to the installonly plugin on yum),
new kernels are downloaded when I do a yum update, but are not installed. This
means I'm still on the 1740_FC5 kernel which is somewhat out of date. If
anyone else is seeing that, I'll fill out a bugzilla report.

The second one is more worrying as it looks like initscripts is broken
(updated from 16th Dec). On reboot, I'm getting two errors

Starting udev:udevd-event[1119]: udev_db_lookup_name: unable to open udev_db
'/dev/.udev/db': No such file or directory
Starting udev:udevd-event[1119]: udev_db_lookup_name: unable to open udev_db
'/dev/.udev/db': No such file or directory

Hardware initialise is fine, loads the correct keymap, sets the hostname,
reports no RAID, sets up LVM - finds 2 logical volumes in group "VolGroup00"
now active and then...

Checking filesystems
fsck.ext3: Unable to resolve 'LABEL=/'

This the drops me down to the file system check error prompt. I enter the root
password and try to edit fstab. No go. Write protected. Try to reinstall the

/dev/hda is reporting as being fine and I can mount if I use RIP Linux.

This second problem is far more pressing that the first. Can anyone suggest a
way to fix this? Is there something I can pass via grub so that the drives are
mounted RW instead of R?

TTFN

Paul

--
"Logic, my dear Zoe, is merely the ability to be wrong with authority" - Dr
Who