call for testing, dmraid in rawhide

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Wed Dec 21 09:25:15 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 11:48 -0500, Peter Jones wrote:
> So, without further fanfare:
>
> To enable this, add "dmraid" to the installer boot command line.

Hi Peter.  I have tested it with yesterday's rawhide.  My system uses a
sil3114 chip for raid, I created a mirror of two 250gig disks.  Anaconda
detected the raid and allowed me to install to it, however grub was not
installed to the raid device.  I had the boot order set for raid device
first, but there is also 2 PATA disks in the system.  The rescue mode
couldn't / wouldn't create the /dev/mapper/sil_randomweirdstring entries
for the raid device, so I booted into the full installer and chvt'd to a
shell, then mounted the file systems and ran grub to install it on the
raid device.  Grub's config is a little confused.  grub itself saw the
raid device as (hd2,0), but in grub's config file I had to use (hd0,0)
for it to find the boot directory right.  Either way, upon reboot the
root file system mounted was NOT raid, instead it used /dev/sda2.  I
haven't investigated too far into this, I'm updating to today's rawhide
right now.  However since the device is being accessed directly, I doubt
I'll be able to boot the raid device at any time.

Anything else I can provide for this please let me know.