call for testing, dmraid in rawhide

Andy Burns fedora-test at adslpipe.co.uk
Wed Dec 21 10:31:51 UTC 2005

Jesse Keating wrote:

> I can use dmraid to look at stuff:
>
> [root at dhcp-108 ~]# dmraid -r
> /dev/sda: sil, "sil_afbidccddcdg", mirror, ok, 490232704 sectors, data@
> 0
> /dev/sdb: sil, "sil_afbidccddcdg", mirror, ok, 490232704 sectors, data@
> 0

reminds me, before I specifically started testing dmraid ...

the box had previously been installed with "fake" raid in the bios, and
had windows xp installed on it, I then changed the SATA mode from RAID
to AHCI, without actually removing the raid config from the drives, I
realise this is the wrong way to do it.

However I then proceeded to install Fedora (at this time it was FC5T1
rather than rawhide) purely onto /dev/sda and /dev/sdb, it went ok, and
worked, however at each bootup, when device mapper ran, it could "see"
the now defunct raid devices and gave a whinge about
/dev/mapper/raidsetname_randomguidthing not existing

Just a heads up in case anyone else does the same and wonders where the
message is from, or anyone considers that devicemapper shouldn't even be
looking for dmraid devices if the SATA setting is not in RAID mode ...