call for testing, dmraid in rawhide

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Wed Dec 21 16:26:47 UTC 2005

> On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 11:48 -0500, Peter Jones wrote:
> > So, without further fanfare:
> >
> > To enable this, add "dmraid" to the installer boot command line.
>
> Hi Peter.  I have tested it with yesterday's rawhide.  My system uses a
> sil3114 chip for raid, I created a mirror of two 250gig disks.  Anaconda
> detected the raid and allowed me to install to it, however grub was not
> installed to the raid device.  I had the boot order set for raid device
> first, but there is also 2 PATA disks in the system.

The two pata disks may be the key -- if you set it to RAID mode and set
the bios so that the raid disk is before any other hard drives in the
boot order (preferably the only drive set to boot), then boot the
installer, go to tty2, and run:

modprobe edd
cd /sys/firmware/edd
ls -ld *
ls -l *

What does it say?

> The rescue mode couldn't / wouldn't create the
> /dev/mapper/sil_randomweirdstring entries for the raid device, so I
> booted into the full installer and chvt'd to a shell, then mounted the
> file systems and ran grub to install it on the raid device.

I suspect rescue mode needs some work.  Any idea who owns it?

> Grub's config is a little confused.

Can you post grub.conf and device.map ?

> grub itself saw the raid device as (hd2,0), but in grub's config file I
> had to use (hd0,0) for it to find the boot directory right.

grub-install still needs some hacking before it'll support this right.
Anaconda should get it right, assuming it picks the right device to boot
at all.

>   Either way, upon reboot the root file system mounted
> was NOT raid, instead it used /dev/sda2.  I haven't investigated too far
> into this, I'm updating to today's rawhide right now.  However since the
> device is being accessed directly, I doubt I'll be able to boot the raid
> device at any time.

Hrm.  That's weird.  That sounds like the initrd was made when you
weren't using a raid device as / .

> Anything else I can provide for this please let me know.

the "init" file from the initrd you were booting would be good.  To
extract it, do:

mkdir /tmp/initrd
cd /tmp/initrd
zcat /boot/initrd-`uname -r`.img | cpio -di

and it'll be /tmp/initrd/init .
--
  Peter