Verifying rpms as root compared to user - missing files

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Dec 24 00:59:04 UTC 2005

Phil Knirsch wrote:
> Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>> After reinstalling a lot of packages that failed verification for
>> missing elements due to the earlier problem, the below rpms still show
>> missing (just two entries as root, many more as user, not visible to
>> user)
>>
>> missing     /usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.12/chrome/overlayinfo/global/content
>> missing     /var/cache/foomatic
>>
>> How would one get these two missing files installed? I tried several
>> options to rpm on the yum downloaded rpms. --replacefiles
>> -replacepkgs, totally removing and reinstalling the rpms. Removing the
>> rpms, cheaning the directories where the files live, but no luck.
>>
>> Rpm verification as user sent me on a wild goose chase. (firestarter,
>> chrooted stuff and the like.)
>>
>> Jim
>>

> Funny enough, i stumbled across exactly those verify "errors" yesterday.
>
> The problem lies in the postscripts that are run from those packages.
> Mozilla runs /usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.8/mozilla-rebuild-databases.pl which
> basically removes everything in
> /usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.12/chrome/overlayinfo/ and recreates it from
> scratch. Foomatic has this as the first few lines of it's postinstall
> script:
>
> if [ -d /var/cache/foomatic ] ; then
>    /bin/rm -rf /var/cache/foomatic
> fi
>
> So, no wonder /var/cache/foomatic is missing after an install/updateb ;)
>
> For mozilla, i'm nor sure what can/should be done. For foomatic otoh it
> would be much better to remove the contents of /var/cache/foomatic only,
> not the complete directory.
>
> Read ya, Phil

Thanks for the feedback. I guess the system is clean as I can get it for
now. At least the test condition works.

I believe I ran the mozilla script from a shell after reading something
from a google search on the fedoralegacy list, but with the 12 instead
of 7 after mozilla-1.7.n
The missing file content for mozilla went down to only the one listed
above after the script completed.

Jim