#prelink# semi-disaster

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Dec 26 03:08:28 UTC 2005

Trying to launch ppracer, I ended up having a permission error. When
investigating the library which I was having permission errors with, I
found out that the library was linked to a #prelink#<random-number> file.
Deleting all of the #prelink#<random> from /tmp left one obviously
broken symlink to /usr/lib/libGL.so.1

Anyway, is there an option to any option to find broken symlinks
system-wide.

Most importantly, for programs that can break the sanity of the system
if you are shutting down the computer, are there any mechanisms being
developed to prevent system shutdown until processes such as prelink,
updating system in the background are not in a sane condition.

To fix the above problem, I deleted the database entries for the library
that had the broken dep and all associated rpms. I then yum installed
the same packages that were db entry only removed.

Jim

--
My computer can beat up your computer.
- Karl Lehenbauer