#prelink# semi-disaster

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Dec 26 17:18:32 UTC 2005

Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 25, 2005 at 10:08:28PM -0500, Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>>Deleting all of the #prelink#<random> from /tmp left one obviously
>>broken symlink to /usr/lib/libGL.so.1
>

> If in such moment you will rerun 'ldconfig' then all correct links
> should be created.  Indeed, this is not precisely obvious.
>
>    Michal

Would I run this against the entire /usr/lib directory or just against
the particular library where the problem was encountered?

locate '#prelink#' presently returns no transitional libraries. At the
time the problem was encountered, there were about 5 returned libraries
that returned results. Most of the returned outputs were sound related
libraries which are not part of Fedora Core.

Having a systemwide warning where shutdown would not happen until the
system was in sane state is still a desirable action. prelink and
package updating interrupted on shutdown seem to be dangerous actions to
interrupt whie they are in mid-stream condition. Ideally, they would
exit cleanly and save data like in a hybernation state and pick up when
the system beacme powered up again.
I favor the complete action, then shut down while preventing additional
programs from launching during the shutdown request. Laptops would
probably benifit from the complete critical, then hybernate concept.

In the meantime, running top before shutting down the system is probably
wise to ensure at least a critical application or daemon is not
performing tasks at the time of shutdown.

Jim

--
"Nuclear war can ruin your whole compile."
-- Karl Lehenbauer